Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Leaders come together to celebrate city receiving USDA funds

City leaders held a ribbon-cutting event on Wednesday, February 26 to celebrate receiving several improvement grants.

The City of Walterboro is celebrating the city receiving several grants that are helping to further improvement projects in the city and supply some of its equipment needs at the Walterboro Police Department.
In all, city leaders have applied for and obtained four grants during the 2019 and 2020 budget cycles. These four grants are coming to the city from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
Broken down, two of these four grants were given to the city during the 2019 fiscal year.
The other two are coming to the city during this current 2020 budget cycle.
To date, the grants have helped to purchase two fully-equipped police patrol vehicles in 2019, at a total cost of $49,800. The funds also helped to install a new roof on Walterboro City Hall, at the cost of $16,500. The roof was a part of the 2019 budget cycle.
The USDA grant funds also bought an additional two fully-equipped patrol vehicles for the current 2020 year, at the cost of $50,000.
The funds also helped to install a new roof on the Citizen Service Center, located at 300 Hampton Street. This project is also a part of the 2020 fiscal year.
The grants that the city applied for are matching grants, meaning that the grants pay for 55 percent of the funding of the project and the City of Walterboro pays for the remaining 45 percent. The city’s required 45 percent financial match is paid for with funds from the city’s annual budget, which is voted on by Walterboro City Council.
According to Lt. Amye Stivender, spokeswoman for the City of Walterboro, the USDA grants are applied for each year by City Finance Director Amy Risher.
Risher applies for the grants that will best the city’s needs. These needs include everything from equipment needs to facility improvements, according to Stivender.
To celebrate the city receiving these funds, officials from the USDA and leaders from the City of Walterboro held a joint ribbon-cutting ceremony last week.
As a part of this ribbon-cutting celebration, local leaders were joined by several top state USDA officials, including USDA Rural Development Public Information Officer Stephanie Bittiker.
USDA’s State Director Debbie Turbeville also came to Walterboro for the ribbon-cutting ceremony, along with USDA Area Specialist Nickie Toomes.
Additionally, Daniel Head, a representative from the office of U.S. Sen. Lindsay Graham, was also in Walterboro for last week’s ribbon-cutting ceremony.
Al Jenkins, from the office of S.C. and Sen. Tim Scott also attended the event.
Walterboro Mayor Bill Young was also a part of this celebration, along with all area city department directors and the city’s administrators. Walterboro Police Chief Wade Marvin also attended the ceremony, along with Assistant City Manager Hank Amundson and City Manager Jeff Molinari.

Heather Walters (1722 Posts)